Friday 31 July 2015

As we pray

It is always an exhilarating experience to worship at a devalayam. The peace and tranquillity that we experience is similar to the Lakshman jhoola, the iron bridge built over the Ganges River in Rishikesh. Apparently, the river is turbulent and vivacious throughout, but is tranquil and calm at the bridge. Similarly, when we visit a devalayam, it gives us a few moments of peace in the midst of a chaotic life.

No matter what we are in our everyday lives, if we enter a house of God in the spirit of worship, we are transformed into docile beings. We have so many things to ask God. Some want good results in the exams, some want a steady job, some want to be married, some want a house of their own, some want to win the elections, some want their trade to prosper. How many wants reside in the human heart!

Yet, despite all the things in our mind, I personally find myself unable to ask for any of the blessings I want when I stand with folded palms before the sannidhanam. I strangely end up being tongue tied, and am only able to exult in my glorious fortune of being able to stand before the Lord! If I am at the temple to dance, I ask that I be able to do a good job, and offer my dance to the Lord completely. I am sure we all feel that way! Don’t you, readers? 

Now I can guess what you must be thinking. ‘We don’t need to go to a devalayam to pray or ask for favours, we can do it anytime, anywhere.’ I agree, we can pray wherever we are. However, the desire to have a conversation with our Lord when we face her or him is always there. There are the truly devout, who do not desire petty material possessions, but unfortunately I am yet to attain that status! 

For majority of devotees who make the pilgrimage the rewards are the peace that they are blessed with upon darshan. The long journey to the devalayam, the tiring queues that can take several hours in some places, the unruly crowds around (despite the fact that everybody’s goal is common there is very little mutual understanding), much stepping on the toes, inordinate amounts of sweat, all is forgotten for the few moments when you have the blissful sight of the Lord or Goddess. The pushing and shoving continues after that, but the purpose has been met. All the hard work will bear fruit when we meet the gaze of the dear Lord. 

Lord Krishna asked his aunt Kunti, the mother of the Pandavas, if she wanted any boon or wish. Kunti said, ‘give us difficult times, so that we may think of you often.’ When I heard of this story as a child, I did not understand the wisdom behind Kunti Devi’s wish. It is only when we are in deep trouble do we call out to the Lord in deep faith. On a regular day, we carry out our regular prayers, but when we find ourselves in a tight spot, we call the Lord several times, over and over again!

Dear readers, please add your thoughts to this. How do you feel when you are standing before a deity to worship? Post your comments right here, and let us have a spiritual discussion. Till we go to our next devalayam, I wish you all good health and wish that you stay devout! 

No comments:

Post a Comment